Safety urged at service stations
September 21, 2009
Caltex is urging its customers to follow safety procedures when
filling up at service stations following two recent fire incidents
at Caltex-branded sites.
The Caltex service station at Narwee, in Sydney's south, was
extensively damaged by fire on Sunday 13 September and a man and a
child suffered burns at a fire at the Caltex service station at
Morriset, in the NSW Hunter region, on Saturday 19 September.
Both incidents involved the ignition of petrol vapour while jerry
cans were being filled and a spark created by static electricity is
believed to have been the cause.
Caltex's General Manager Marketing Andy Walz said that while static
fires were uncommon, they could occur if measures were not taken to
discharge the static electricity.
"When filling jerry cans or other containers, place them on the
ground to discharge any static. Filling them up in the boot of your
car or on the back of your ute will not discharge the static - they
need to be placed on the ground," Mr Walz said.
Mr Walz also urged people to take other safety precautions such as
switching off their engine, not smoking and ensuring mobile phones
are turned off.
"Fuelling is such a routine task for many people that it is easy to
become complacent. It is important people remember to read the
warning signs and take the precautions indicated on these signs to
ensure the health and safety of themselves, other customers and our
employees," he said.
Investigations into the Narwee and Morriset incidents are
Caltex is continually assessing service station safety.
Phone 02 9250 5094